Click it here!

Thursday, October 4, 2018

04-10-2018 Bong & His First Time in Austria (The conference)

From Helsinki,
I took Lufthansa to Frankfurt,
and from Frankfurt to Vienna... 
I went straight to buy train tickets
and some food...
(They have SPAR too in Austria!)
and boarded the train
like 30 minutes after I landed in Vienna!
Everything went super smooth...
until I saw people looking at the seat numbers...
Well,
I did not care.
I was a tourist,
so it was fine that I just chose the best seat I wanted. lol!
Kinda funny to see
a familiar face in their local magazine!
With my simple lunch
(Salmon 'sandwich' kind of thing,
with cucumber kiwi juice)...
my 2 hours ++ 
journey to Linz was good to go!
I must say the train journey was not
so very interesting...
or at least there were not so much
nice outskirts views
that I had expected!
Anyway,
they do have a lot windmills...
plantations...
and industrial activities....
After 2 hours ++,
I finally arrived at Linz.
From there,
I took a taxi to the provided accommodation
Sommerhaus Hotel.
By the name hotel I expected it to be like...
a 'hotel',
so I was kinda surprised to see that 
it is actually more like a student hostel...
but it is driven in a hotel way....
(I must say the breakfast there was pretty good!)
My room was at the corner
on the top floor
so I got a very nice view!
After resting a bit,
I spent some time exploring the neighborhood....
The hotel itself is located
very near to the university...
Because it was Sunday,
I did not see a lot of shops and restaurants were open.
Thanks to Google Map,
I managed to find a chinese restaurant
and the owner was so surprised that I could speak mandarin!
The meny was only in German,
so I had to ask the owner to suggest me something good!
So I got served this!
Nam nam!
After the dinner,
I continued my sight-seeing in the neighborhood
and then went back to the hotel to prepare
for my presentation the next day!
This is the conference that brought me to JKU at Linz,
ICCHP
(International Conference on Computers Helping People with Special Needs).
Because I came early for registration
so I had some good time to explore around the university...
The part of the conference that I joined
is Young Researcher Consortium.
It started with some sort of ice breaking,
then presentation of our own topics,
getting feedback...
We also had one day with
'field trip' lol...
and of course,
the part I love the most,
good food and socializing....
The good thing about joining a conference
is that one can have some time
to explore the city as well!
We were provided
transport card for 5 days...
and for my first day,
I only had time for a dinner in the city
then I rushed back
to the university
to have a walk at a nearby lake,
Pleschinger See.
It is about 15 minutes walk
from the hotel,
and I was surprised to see that the lake itself
is not located in Linz!
Interesting camping place,
and also signs...
The next day,
I took the tram from the university to Rudolfstraße.
From there,
I walked across the bridge...
with the target
to take a nice picture of
Ars Electronica Center!
On the other side of the river
is Lentos Kunstmuseum Linz...
The famous
Dreifaltigkeitssäule pest column
at Hauptplatz...
From there,
I continued to walk...

XOXO
-Bong-

No comments:

Post a Comment